Google and Apple: Two titans of know-how that come collectively to serve up my emails. It isn’t information to say they don’t all the time place properly together. However just lately there have been much more problems than ordinary as Gmail retains failing to authenticate in Apple Mail.
And I’m not the one one this has occurred to. Ask any of the 2000+ different users who mentioned the problem on this Apple thread.
Everybody has been experiencing the same drawback. Apple Mail keeps asking you to log in and authenticate your Google account utilizing Safari. After you do it, Apple Mail asks once more and you’re caught in an infinite login authentication loop.
Enter the password for the account “(null)”
Google requires completing authentication in Safari
So, what precisely is occurring here? Properly…it could possibly be one among two issues.
Plenty of users experience “generic” Apple Mail authentication errors all the time. However there’s additionally a surge of latest users getting the difficulty as a consequence of a bug in Apple’s release of macOS 10.14.four.
No matter is inflicting the difficulty for you, we’ve acquired the fix for it under!
- 1 Quick Ideas
- 2 Problems with Apple Mail and Gmail authentication in macOS 10.14.4
- 2.1 1. Replace your Mac to the subsequent software program update
- 2.2 2. Disable two-step authentication and allow “less secure apps”
- 2.3 3. Manually add Gmail using “Other Mail Account” in Apple Mail
- 2.4 4. Exchange your mail shopper with a third-party various
- 2.5 5. Fix Gmail and Mail authentication problems using Charles
- 3 What do I do if Gmail did not log in to Apple Mail on my Mac?
- 3.1 1. Verify you possibly can sign up on the Gmail web site
- 3.2 2. Shut Apple Mail and restart your Mac
- 3.3 3. Deactivate Gmail on your Mac, then activate it once more
- 3.4 four. Take away Gmail out of your Mac, then add it once more
- 3.5 Don’t let Mail examine for brand spanking new messages too typically
- 3.6 5. Take away Gmail from Keychain and enter your password manually
- 3.7 6. Flip off two-step authentication on your Google account
- 3.8 7. Enable entry for “less secure apps” in your Google account
- 3.9 eight. Add Gmail manually using “Other Mail Account” in Apple Mail
Use these quick ideas — defined in more element under — to resolve most problems with Apple Mail and Gmail:
- Examine you possibly can sign up on the Gmail web site.
- Shut Apple Mail and restart your Mac.
- Deactivate Gmail in your Mac, then activate it again.
- Take away Gmail out of your Mac, then add it again.
- Remove Gmail from Keychain and enter your password manually.
- Turn off two-step authentication in your Google account.
- Allow entry for “less secure apps” in your Google account.
- Add Gmail manually using “Other Mail Account” in Apple Mail.
Problems with Apple Mail and Gmail authentication in macOS 10.14.4
Update to the newest macOS replace for those who’re operating macOS version 10.14.4.
Considered one of Apple’s latest software releases brought with it a frustrating bug for Apple Mail and Gmail users. This bug — initially found in the Beta — created a login authentication loop between Mac’s Apple Mail and Gmail.
Apple Mail prompts customers to log in and authenticate their account utilizing Safari. Google seems to simply accept the password and authentication, but then Apple Mail provides the same prompt again. And once more and once more…
Enter the password for the account “(null)”
Google requires completing authentication in Safari
This message will get greater than somewhat irritating after the 100th time you see it.
Though this proved to be a troublesome error to repair, a couple of users have discovered some intelligent workarounds for it. We’ve outlined them under, but you can too read our full troubleshooting information for Gmail problems additional down in the publish.
1. Replace your Mac to the subsequent software program update
This concern arose with macOS 10.14.4, launched at the end of March. But since then, Apple has launched the subsequent model of its working software program, macOS 10.14.5.
And although Apple made no mention of the Mail and Gmail problems, this new replace seems to resolve them!
Replace your Mac to the newest software program:
- From the menu bar, go to Apple > System Preferences… > Software program Update.
- Wait in your Mac to verify for brand spanking new software updates.
- Download and set up any updates it finds.
Be sure to obtain and install any updates which are out there.
2. Disable two-step authentication and allow “less secure apps”
An answer proposed by many customers — however not efficient for all of them — is to disable two-step authentication within Google and allow “less secure apps.” Who would’ve thought Apple Mail qualified as a much less secure app!?
We’ve detailed how you can do every of this stuff in our basic troubleshooting ideas under:
3. Manually add Gmail using “Other Mail Account” in Apple Mail
Choose Other Mail Account… to keep away from more problems when adding your Gmail account to Apple Mail.
Once once more, this answer seems to be efficient for a large portion of customers — but not all of them.
It includes eradicating Gmail from your Mac solely. Then adding it manually to the Mail app using the “Other Mail Account” choice. Whenever you do this, you could enter IMAP settings your self, relatively than have them crammed in by Mail.
We defined how to do this in our primary troubleshooting steps under as nicely. Click right here to leap to that section of the publish for full directions.
4. Exchange your mail shopper with a third-party various
Spark is my favourite various to the Apple Mail app.
Not a lot of a solution, but a wonderfully efficient workaround: stop utilizing Apple Mail. The difficulty seems to be an issue with Apple Mail itself, and not with Google or your Gmail account.
This means you’ll be able to have a working mail shopper — and probably one with a far richer function set — by replacing Apple Mail with a third-party various.
I like Spark, personally. However we’ve written a few range of other mail shoppers earlier than, resembling:
Do a bit of analysis yourself to seek out one you like the sound of, then attempt it out — they’re all free! Or you would all the time resort to accessing your mail via the Gmail website.
5. Fix Gmail and Mail authentication problems using Charles
Download Charles and comply with the directions we linked to under for an additional answer. Image from Charles.
A slightly more technical answer I’ve seen a number of occasions is to make use of an internet debugging proxy software referred to as Charles.
I haven’t tested this technique myself. However different users say they used Charles to restore Apple Mail and Gmail authentication points. Comply with the directions given in these feedback should you wish to attempt utilizing Charles.
You may as well attempt our troubleshooting steps under, designed to resolve widespread problems with Gmail and Apple Mail.
What do I do if Gmail did not log in to Apple Mail on my Mac?
The steps under are efficient at routing out and resolving virtually any drawback you may need with Gmail and Mail in your Mac. Comply with the steps within the order offered and keep in mind to keep testing your account.
You’ll be able to cease following the guide when Gmail logs into Mail without authentication failing or another problems. But please keep in mind to tell us in the feedback what steps did and didn’t be just right for you so we will maintain this submit updated!
1. Verify you possibly can sign up on the Gmail web site
The first thing to do is attempt signing in to your Gmail account on Google’s website.
This confirms two essential issues about your Gmail account:
- Your password is right.
- The account is at present lively.
Can you log in to your Gmail account without authentication problems on Google’s website?
Not solely that but signing in alerts you to any security warnings in your account. Maybe Google put a short lived block on Apple Mail and you’ll want to re-enable it for authentication to stop failing.
Signing in on-line permits you to do this.
In case you can’t access your Gmail account via the web site, the issue is with Google. Reach out to Google help for further assistance.
2. Shut Apple Mail and restart your Mac
Ensure you Give up Mail earlier than restarting your Mac.
It’s an previous favorite and I’m wondering if I’ve ever written a troubleshooting submit without this suggestion. But you need to restart your Mac.
This sounds primary, I know, nevertheless it’s efficient. If Apple Mail or background processes have turn into corrupt, a easy restart is often all you must resolve it.
How do I close Apple Mail and restart my Mac?
- Change to the Apple Mail app by clicking it from the Dock or using command+tab.
- With Apple Mail selected, from the menu bar go to Mail > Give up Mail.
- If Mail gained’t give up:
- Press command+choice+escape.
- Select Mail within the window that seems and click on Pressure Give up.
- Once Mail is closed, go to Apple > Shut Down from the menu bar.
- Affirm you need to Shut Down your Mac.
- Wait no less than two minutes before you employ the facility button to restart your Mac.
Shut down your Mac and wait lengthy enough for it to finish powering off before you restart it once more.
3. Deactivate Gmail on your Mac, then activate it once more
You possibly can deactivate Gmail via the Web Accounts page in System Preferences. This doesn’t take away something from your Mac but stops Gmail receiving new messages until you reactivate it.
Whenever you reactivate Gmail, it attempts to log in and authenticate with Google. This typically irons out any issues with Apple Mail within the course of.
How do I deactivate and reactivate Gmail on my Mac?
- From the menu bar, go to Apple > System Preferences… > Web Accounts.
- Choose your Google account from the sidebar, you’ll have given it a customized identify.
- Uncheck all the obtainable choices: Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes.
- Close System Preferences and use the instructions above to restart your Mac.
- When your Mac restarts, return to Web Accounts.
- Verify the field for Mail and another providers you need to use.
Use this box to activate or deactivate Gmail in your Mac, including in the Mail app.
four. Take away Gmail out of your Mac, then add it once more
Whenever you take away Gmail, your Google emails, contacts, calendars, and notes are also removed out of your Mac. This knowledge continues to be saved on Google’s server and obtainable whenever you log in to Google’s web site.
It also returns to your Mac whenever you add Gmail to your Mac once more. Though that could be easier stated than executed considering the rationale you’re reading this.
Very similar to the step above, eradicating and re-adding Gmail on your Mac forces Apple to re-authenticate your account. It might drive any issues to the floor or bypass them completely.
How do I take away and re-add Gmail on my Mac?
- From the menu bar, go to Apple > System Preferences… > Internet Accounts.
- Select your Google account from the sidebar, you’ll have given it a customized identify.
- Click on the Minus (–) button at the bottom of the sidebar, then click on OK to verify you need to remove the account.
- Close System Preferences and use the directions above to restart your Mac.
- When your Mac restarts, return to Internet Accounts.
- Click the Plus (+) button on the bottom of the sidebar.
- Select Google and enter your Google username and password.
- Comply with Open Safari to authenticate Google, then enter your login particulars.
Delete Gmail out of your Mac utilizing the minus button — it gained’t delete anything from Gmail.
Don’t let Mail examine for brand spanking new messages too typically
Google warns that if your Mail shopper checks for brand spanking new messages more than once every 10 minutes, it’d get blocked as a safety precaution.
How do I modify how typically Mail seems for brand spanking new messages?
- Open Mail in your Mac.
- From the menu bar, go to Mail > Preferences… > Basic.
- Decide certainly one of these options underneath the Verify for brand spanking new messages: drop-down menu: Each 15 minutes, Every 30 minutes, Each hour, or Manually.
Scale back the frequency Mail checks for brand spanking new messages to no extra frequent than each 15 minutes.
5. Take away Gmail from Keychain and enter your password manually
Keychain securely saves your username and password for all of the accounts you employ on your Mac. This streamlines signing for apps and websites you go to. It also lets Mail verify for emails while not having your password each time.
You must take away your Gmail password from Keychain and enter it once more manually. This ensures it isn’t incorrect or corrupted.
How do I remove my Gmail password from Keychain?
- Close Mail by going to Mail > Give up Mail from the menu bar or urgent command+Q.
- Open the Keychain Access software from your Utilities folder in Finder or utilizing Highlight.
- In the Class sidebar on the left, click on Passwords.
- Now search for Gmail in the search bar close to the highest proper.
- Click on Variety to type your outcomes and scroll to seek out any Internet Password type of entries.
- Choose all Gmail Internet Password outcomes.
- Delete them by urgent Delete on the keyboard or using Control-Click > Delete Merchandise.
- Affirm you need to Delete the chosen item.
- Open Mail and attempt to check in to Gmail once more when prompted.
6. Flip off two-step authentication on your Google account
Two-step authentication is a wonderful, and well-advised, security measure so as to add to your Google account. In any case, there’s a variety of personal info on that account. You don’t want it falling into the mistaken arms.
That stated, this added complication might be why Gmail fails to authenticate with Apple Mail on your Mac. Briefly deactivate two-step authentication and try and sign up to Gmail on Apple Mail again.
How do I turn off two-step authentication for Google?
- Sign into your account on Google’s web site.
- Click Security from the options on the left of the page.
- Underneath the Signing into Google part, click on 2-Step Verification.
- Enter your Google password again, if prompted.
- Click on Flip Off at the prime of the page.
- Affirm that you simply need to Turn Off two-step verification.
- Open Mail and try to sign up to Gmail again when prompted.
Google’s 2-step verification undoubtedly makes your account more secure, however it’s straightforward to see how it may cause problems between Gmail and Apple Mail.
7. Enable entry for “less secure apps” in your Google account
It’s unclear why, however typically Apple Mail will get tagged as an insecure app by your Google account. When this occurs, Google refuses to let Apple Mail authenticate your Gmail account.
Thankfully, you possibly can disable this function in the settings. Although doing so can impede the security of your account.
How do I allow entry for less safe apps on Google?
- Sign into your account on Google’s web site.
- Click on Security from the choices on the left of the web page.
- Scroll right down to the Less safe app entry part.
- Click Turn on access (not really helpful).
- Turn on the change to Permit much less safe apps.
- Open Mail and attempt to sign up to Gmail once more when prompted.
If this resolves your problems with Apple Mail and Gmail, flip off access to less secure apps once more. But attempt creating an App Password to use with Apple Mail from Google. There are directions to do that on Google’s web site.
Also, attempt turning off access to much less safe apps and unlocking your Google account by getting into a captcha. Click on on this hyperlink and comply with the prompts to enter a captcha. Then attempt signing in from Apple Mail once more inside the subsequent 10 minutes.
eight. Add Gmail manually using “Other Mail Account” in Apple Mail
Select Different Mail Account… to avoid more problems when including your Gmail again to Apple Mail.
Add Gmail as a new mail account inside the Apple Mail app. And this time, choose the “Other Mail Account” choice as an alternative of choosing “Google”.
This implies it is advisable to allow your Gmail account to IMAP forwarding and enter the incoming and outgoing servers. Google supplies good instructions for this, however we’ve defined precisely find out how to do it all under.
It also means you’ll be able to’t add your contacts or calendars from Google — sadly. Nevertheless it ought to get your emails coming in and going out, so that’s something of a victory!
How do I allow IMAP for my Gmail account?
- Go to Gmail’s website and check in to your account.
- Close to the highest proper, click on the Cog Icon and go to Settings.
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Underneath the IMAP Access: part, click Allow IMAP.
- Scroll to the underside and click Save Modifications.
How do I add Gmail to Apple Mail manually?
- Open Mail on your Mac.
- From the menu bar, go to Mail > Preferences… > Accounts.
- Click on the Plus (+) button at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Select Different Mail Account… at the backside of the listing and click on Continue.
- Enter your Identify, E-mail Tackle, and Password for Google, then click on Signal In.
- It Mail is unable to confirm your account, enter the next settings:
- Username: Your Gmail e mail handle.
- Account sort: IMAP
- Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
- Click Signal In.
Manually enter the Incoming and Outgoing server particulars in your Gmail account in Apple Mail.
That’s all we’ve obtained, hopefully it helped! Let us know for those who’re nonetheless struggling to login or authenticate Gmail using Apple Mail on your Mac. In the event you’re totally fed up, take a look at this publish about different shoppers you need to use as an alternative of Apple Mail.
Dan is a freelance writer based mostly in South West England.
He spent two years supervising repairs as a Genius Admin for Apple Retail and uses that information to keep our troubleshooting guides up-to-date.
Long before that, Dan turned to Apple merchandise from a musical background. Having owned iPods for years, he bought a MacBook to study sound recording and manufacturing. It was utilizing those expertise that he gained a first-class Bachelor of Science in Sound Know-how.